The new Sharp MX-3070N, MX-3570N, MX-4070N(called the Phoenix) can scan directly to several different file types. They have built in optical character recognition(OCR) that allows this capability. Perhaps the most useful is the ability to scan a text document and have it open with Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, or Microsoft PowerPoint so it can be edited.
There are a couple of ways to achieve this.
- Create your scanning profile with the default file type set to DOCX, XLSX, or PPTX.
- Change the file format on the fly from the touchscreen before you scan a document
I’ll cover both procedures below with instructions for each, and a video showing the process of changing it on the fly from the touch screen.
Setup a Scanning Profile Defaulting to DOCX, XLSX, or PPTX
- Open the machines web page by typing the IP address into a web browser. If you do not know the IP address you can print a Machine Status List with the address on it
- Click the Address Book tab at the top of the page
- Click the Add button
- Enter your Address Name, if you have a separate entry for regular PDF scanning, you might want to designate which is which by adding a suffix of “Word” or “DOCX” for example.5. Scroll down, enter your email address(or network folder path with username/password), change the filetype to DOCX for Word, XLSX for Excel, or PPTX for PowerPoint near the bottom of the list, and click Submit at the bottom of the page.
This concludes this portion of the walk-through. Now when you walk to the machine and go into the scanning mode, you’ll see the address you just created, and it will scan to a Word Doc, Excel Spreadsheet, or PowerPoint Presentation by default. Here is a list of all available file types:
Change the File Format on the Fly Before Scanning
Step By Step Instructions with Pictures:
- Walk to the touch screen, touch the Scan mode
- Choose your name, touch OK
- Touch File Format on the left menu
- Choose the File type for the output you want – you’ll notice OCR is automatically checked off at this point
- Touch OK, then Start to begin scanning
Creating editable documents was something that software had to handle in the past. Welcome to the future. The future is now! Contact Skelton Business Equipment today for a quote on a machine capable of scanning to editable, searchable documents today! If you’re in Houston you’ll get free delivery including printing/scanning setup.